Sunday, November 21, 2004

What no one says aloud

Everyone has thoughts they don't say aloud. This should have been one of them.
S. and I were watching Interview with a Vampire tonight. Not the best of movies, not the worst, but something he had never seen and I felt like watching. S. and I never watch movies as much as we have something in the background to allow fodder for conversation. I suddenly had a thought.

"S., do you think vampires are real?"
"It's possible, I guess. But I don't think it's likely. Why? Do you think they're real???"
The incredulous tone of his voice almost prevented me from answering. I should have stuck to that initial reaction. Instead, I think I offended his church-going sensibilities.
"Sometimes, I just wonder. I guess, to me, vampires are like God."
"What do you mean?"
"There are stories all over the world, as far back as time remembers, about vampires. All of them have the same bases and the same characteristics. The stories all resemble each other in the way of the vampire, his purpose and his demise. But no one has any proof that they exist, at least none that is well accepted. In that, they are like God. Every society has some form of omnipotent being. The stories are all similiar. The God/Gods/figures all share the same characteristics, the same bases, the same purpose (to some extent) and the same demise. There is no real proof he exists, but nor is there any he/it/they didn't."
"Hmmm . . . "

And with that non-committal noise, the conversation ceased. In fact, the conversation trail of the night ended. We watched the rest of the movie in silence and then he left. He was warm, as always; a kiss on the cheek, a warm embrace, the promise of a call. But something was different. Something was lacking. And what was lacking was probably the quieting of my mind. I couldn't stop running the conversation through my head. I couldn't stop thinking of how similar the myths of our society are and how far back they are able to be traced. Can anyone say that vampires, witches, God, true democracy, faithful men and love do not exist?

Random questions with no answers.

No comments: