Friday, June 17, 2005

THIS BITES . . . but in a good way?

Oh holy fuck.

So, I've spent the last 5 days going to the gym every night.
First time since the car accidents.
To be honest, these have probably been my first REAL workouts in 7 years.
I got to college and got lazy.
Yeah, I went to the gym, but mostly to walk on the track and stare at the eye candy.

But all that has changed.
I have spent at least 1 hr in the gym every night.
Most nights (3 of the 5) it was 2 hours.

The schedule is as follows:

First week
Mon - biceps, triceps, chest, back
Tues - cardio only
Wed - quads, hamstrings, calves, abs
Thurs - cardio only
Fri - biceps, triceps, chest, back
Sat - cardio only
Sun free day

The next week, you pick up where you left off. So Mon, I will be on quads, hamstrings, calves and abs again.

This is WONDERFUL in that I feel better than I have in years, I have more energy, I feel like I'm really accomplishing something and I've already lost a decent amount of weight. Yes, I know probably half of it was water weight, but some of it was definitely fat.

Here's the problem:

I CANT HARDLY MOVE.
My muscles are SO SORE that I can't even squat onto the damn toilet.
I HURT. HURT. HURT. I was in two severe car accidents in the last six months. A broken hip, a mangled ankle, bruises that would make boxers blush. And yet even those two massive impacts didn't hurt as much as working out does days later.

It's a good pain. It tells me I actually DID something in the gym and that my muscle is actually rebuilding itself. Becoming less atrophied from the months of wheelchair, crutches, cane and hobbling. But sweet Jesus, can I please pee in peace?? My abs ache so badly that I cry when I laugh.

This gets easier, right?
It's been so long since I've actually worked out to this extent that I can't remember.

3 comments:

birdie said...

you know i'm so very proud of you!!!!!!
i'm joining on monday-- as we discussed (now that i'm out of the red, for the time being anyway) GOD BLESS DEPOSIT CHECKS!!!!
*kisses*
see you sunday, as long as your not horribly achy :)

Jbsss said...

Hey there,
Well if Birdie likes you then, well hell you have to be alright.

Anyways. When I started kickboxing last year it just flat out hurt. I walked funny for a week. The pain was so so very bad. The upside is, you are pretty young still and will be fine in no time. It takes about two weeks to really get over it. Then you will be able to do things that amaze yourself. Just stick it out and you will be glad you did.

My biggest problem is that without a scheduled fight I found it tough to maintain training. No motivating factors to keep me killing myself in the gym. Some can do it but I have yet to master the trick.

Adam said...

The hurt is a good hurt, you start to realise that the hurt means things are happening. The hurt totally goes away, then you start to miss it.

You're doing good girl!!