Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sacrifices

So, I went home for the weekend to see my family and get some rest and relaxation.
It was wonderful. No, really.
The house down the street has an inground pool.
I spent hours and hours in that pool when I was growing up because I was at first friends with the younger boy of the family and later on dated the older boy (younger boy was 2 years younger than me, older boy was 4 years older).
They moved about 9 years ago.
The new family is a little different.
They were fine there for a while, then the cop husband tried to sleep with my coworker when I managed the city pool. She was 17 and he was . . . umm . . probably 36 at the time.
Appearantly this wasn't the first time for him.
Or his friend who tried to sleep with me.
I digress.
They still live there. But there were marital problems.
He took a job in Little Rock as a police officer and commuted.
Finally, just getting an apartment there for the weeks and going home on weekends when he wasn't working.
The wife and kids, for whatever reason, moved in with her mother about a year ago.
So the house is basically devoid of people.
The husband talked to my father and their other neighbor and said if they would keep the pool in working order and maintain the lawn, they could have free reign over the pool.
I spent Saturday running errands, Saturday night eating out with the family and then 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the pool with my family.
Sunday, we spent 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. teaching Maddy (Maddox Riley Degray) our 10 week old black Lab how to swim and showing Kady (my brother's 9 month old black Lab) that the water was fun.
I love Kady. I do. Really.
However, her claws HURT.
And once she wasn't afraid to get in the water, she thought it was fun to chase you while you swam and then crawl all over you when she caught you.
I look as though I was attacked by a nymphomanic with Lee Press-Ons.
I have scratches up and down my legs, all over my chest, criss-crossing over my back and covering my arms.
The sacrifices you make for a wonderful weekend with your family.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend. There is nothing better to do in the heat of summer then lounging around a pool.

Adam said...

Lounging, swimming, family bonding AND character-building scratches and pain!

Doesn't get any better than that.