Monday, October 31, 2005

I Can't Believe I Forgot . . .

My brother and I decided to turn Halloween night into a sibling thing.

Just me and him sitting around, eating some take-out, watching some scary flicks.
I keep forgetting that somehow we grew up in the same family, in the same house, but have completely different experiences. I suppose because he spent almost all his time with my dad and I spent all my time with my mom (and, no, they're not divorced . . . they are so sickeningly happily married that it sometimes makes you want to scream "HOW COULD I EVER LIVE UP TO THIS?!?!?!?!?!).

My brother had never seen The Shining. We start watching it and I say "What about Psycho after this?" and he says, I shit you not, "What the hell is that? I've never even heard of it."

I then IMMEDIATELY go into culture shock and say "What about Rocky Horror Picture Show?" (a staple for my mother and I) And he says "What's that?"

I'm now mortally injured. But I'm recovering because I get to enjoy something I had completely forgotten. Watching the effect that The Shining has on someone who has never seen it. I get to watch the puzzled expressions, the downright horror and the "What the fuck?" face. I can't believe I forgot how shocking it really is. Yes, I realize it must be about the freakiest movie EVER (though, Kubrick's Clockwork Orange is a CLOSE second). And, to this day, it scares the bejeezus out of me, but there's nothing like getting your Shining cherry popped.

I think he may spend the night.

It's that bad.

I love it!
How could I have forgotten?

No comments: