Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Where Do My Loyalties Lie??

So . . . this is what I've been invited to do:

My best friend from college (also, my future husband) opens his residency letter on Thursday.
This is a HUGE deal.
The med school rents out an entire restaurant, starting at 10:30 in the morning, and has an open bar from 10:30 until 1:00.
Then at 1:00, after all the letters of placement have been opened, they charter a bus to take the med students and their friends to Oaklawn.
Nothing like getting day drunk and then going to bet on horses running in a circle.
Baker wants me with him.
Baker's family, who will be at the restaurant but NOT the horse races, want me there as well.
And to be honest. . . I want to be there.
I want to find out what grand city and state I am losing my best friend to.
I might even be persuaded, just because of the occassion, to get a little "day drunk."

Here is the problem:

My case load has picked up TREMENDOUSLY.
Damn my ambition.
In fact, I thought, until this morning, that I was only slotting 46 hours per week.
But two phone calls and an E-Fax later, I find out that I now have 58 hours to slot.
58 hours that only I can cover.
EVEN if I cut the 180-minute therapy kids back to two hours per week instead of three. . . just until I can get a better handle on the situation, I'm still left with FAR too many hours to cover.

Which means, I can't really justify NOT working on Thursday.
Though, I did toy with the idea of working 6:30 to 10:30 and then rolling into Juanita's a bit late.
But is four hours even worth it?

So . . . here's my question to you:

Do I let down the man who has been there for me for 8 years and not show up for one of the biggest days of his life?

or

Do I set my business back and ignore my responsibilities and make myself feel like a Class A fool for getting day drunk and reading a letter instead of living up to my responsibilities to my business and my kids?

ARGH!!!

Why couldn't this happen two weeks ago?
When I was pulling a 28 hour case load and only working M-W and two hours on Th???

What really sucks is that THIS is my life.
This week, when I NEED to not be working . . . I'm swamped.
Two weeks from now, when I need the hours and the money and the build up for the business, I'm sure I will be pulling a 24 hour week.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I say go. The man has been there for you through all your ups and downs. I'm sure he would probably be very hurt if you--his best friend didn't show for such an important day. Of course he would totally under stand if you told him the situation, but he'd so probably feel unimportant.

Friendships last for-ever because of moments like these.

btw, I love reading your blog. I check it just about every day.

Coyote Mike said...

I know your friend would understand, and he will forgive you. But, you should make an effort to have a special day with him when you do have the time and can truly enjoy your time together.

And knowing Med students like I do, he won't mind another excuse to get day drunk with you.

Besides, the horses run fairly often. :D

Coyote Mike said...

I wrote you a very selfish and thoughtless e-mail yesterday. You don't need me acting like an idiot when you're this busy. I'm very sorry.

angel, jr. said...

Sometimes you have to be selfish and think of your own priorities.

Rolligun said...

Life is about relationships,

you know if you can be there or not,

if you can do it, then do it.

Drunken Chud said...

i gotta agree with rolli on this one. i mean, if there's a chance you can be there, even for a little bit, that's better than nothing. plus, this one single act could start you on the slippery slope of work before personal relationships. and that's a shitty slope to slide down.