Monday, April 10, 2006

Further

I wonder how long it will be
Before you realize I’m gone
I’m still here
Still in front of you
Still yours
But there’s distance

There has to be
It’s internal
It’s hidden
But it’s there
Will you see it
Someday
When did I start to withdraw
Years ago
Months ago
Days ago
Yesterday
Today
This minute
I’m further
Every second a little further
Millimeters
Miles
Oceans
Further
You mentioned it
Sentences strung together
I heard them
Marking them off in my mind
What happened to you?
You’re not the girl I know.
The happy-go-lucky, always a smile, always saying yes, anything to help girl.
What happened to that girl?
Was she so bad?
I laughed at you
Nonchalantly
Ignoring the issue
Pretending it wasn’t between us
Like the inches I had already started to put there
Further

7 comments:

Coyote Mike said...

Are you looking in a mirror?

Indiana said...

Sometimes, although we don't see it at the time, distance is exactly what is needed...

ChickyBabe said...

But who's put the distance in the first place? Holding someone at arms length can hurt.

Faltenin said...

And every time you look around, that distance is wider... How far does it have to be before you consider it's "too far to cross"?

And do you want to let it get that far?

Trix said...

Of course she's still there...she's just going through a difficult time right now. It's to be expected.

clew said...

Hi Meghan - just snooping over from AC's blog.

I like this. A lot.

Just thought I'd let you know. :)

meghansdiscontent said...

Coyote - VERY observant. :)

Indy - Yes, yes we do. Even if it hurts more than anything else.

Chicky - Amen.

Fal - Sweetie, are we talking about me or you? :) And you're so right.

Trix - She's always going through difficult times. Soap opera life.

Clew - Thanks! :) Always love a visitor.