Monday, June 04, 2007

Summer Lovin', Had Me a . . . Blowout

I’m unsure if I’ve ever professed my love/hate relationship with summer on here, but I’ve got one.

The reason I hate the summers in Arkansas is simple: Heat.
On a good day - the high temp is in the mid-90's.
On a bad day - the one hundred and teens with a heat index of 212 and nary a breeze to be felt.

But, the reasons I love the summer are many.
Not the least of which include WATER!

I’m a water baby, always have been and dare to say I always will be.
The moment it’s warm enough, I pack a beach bag with provisions and head to water. Regardless of how cold it is.

Last weekend, I flirted with water a bit. Just one small (8 hour) trip to the lake. This weekend, however, I had a full-blown affair! I skipped out on work on Friday (one of the many joys of the self-employed) and headed to Heber Springs with Cassie to cliff jump, swim, float and sun ourselves on the rocks while reading amazingly good books. But that simple trip only served to whet my appetite. I needed more!

Saturday dawned cloudy and cool, but the puffy grey clouds that promise rain were nowhere to be seen. I over-packed every possible necessity in a beach bag the size of a small storage unit and a cooler that was significantly smaller, but no less stuffed, and headed to the dock to beg a ride with Cal.

Cal, Garrett, Todd, Jenn, Sarah and I loaded quickly in the boat and spent the day attempting to commit suicide. Or, possibly, it was only me. I was born with this sense of accomplishment that drives me to practice everything - even the things I do extremely poorly - until I get it right. The previous weekend Cal had tried to teach me to slalom ski . . . after being repeatedly skipped across the water - and damaging my swimsuit to the point where I could not decently remove my lifevest - I gave up. For that day. But Saturday, I was more determined than ever. I was going to slalom ski, come Hell or high water.

Well, the high water brought Hell with it. On my third pathetic attempt, a wake the size of a Tsunami attacked me and I was thrown across the water with considerable force into a large (read massive) boulder. I fear my black, blue and now green leg will never recover. Neither, I’m afraid, will my pride. I won’t say I will never try slalom skiing again, but it’s a distinct possibility.

Sunday - broken and battered - I decided to take it easy, but I still required water. Enter my neighborhood pool. Five hours of lounging in a deck chaise and teaching my god-daughter to jump to me in the water. I can think of no better way to conclude a morning of Fire and Brimstone speeches than to hear my god-daughter shout "Catch you!" and my answer "No, Eve, say Catch Me."

And what do I have to show for my weekend in the water? Skin so tan that I will be able to forgo make-up for at least two weeks, tan lines which will embarrass me in my halter-topped bridesmaid’s dress next week, sun-streaked hair and a bruise that covers my right leg ankle to mid-thigh. Would I trade any of it for the world? Nope. I’m even thinking about working 5-days a week (a novelty for me) and only 6 hours a day to allow me to get to my pool by 2 PM every afternoon.

Sounds like a good plan to me! Thank God summer is here!

Can someone remind me Thursday that I uttered that "Thank God" statement? I get the feeling that when we reach that projected 97 degree mark I might start to curse summer in Arkansas.

7 comments:

Traveling Chica said...

Awww, I'm jealous of the proximity to water!

I had my nephew/godson over to the pool in my apartment complex yesterday and it was a blast. They're sooooooo cute when jumping into the water to have you catch them :)

Meghan said...

You need to move immediately to get closer to water. It's a necessity to be near a lake, river or ocean!

They ARE adorable. I'm trying to convince Cassie to bring Jonah to the pool this afternoon. Eve's adorable at 2.5 yrs, but I wanna play with a baby (Jonah's 8 months) in the water!

Jon said...

You would think that growing up in Florida, I'd be more inclined to be a water baby, but alas, I'm not.
Usually I say something similar about summer weather here in Florida, where it's a daily race between the temp and the humidity which one reaches 100 first.

Meghan said...

Near the ocean and not a water baby? For shame.

Heat is bad, but wet heat is the worst. Oh my dear sweet Lord in Heaven I abhor the humidity here. You can't BREATHE!!!

Carl from L.A. said...

It ain't bad until walls sweat and roaches fly.

Traveling Chica said...

Yeah, that moving thing has become more and more apparent as of late :)

Coyote Mike said...

If I jump in the pool, will you catch me? :)