Saturday, July 07, 2007

Delayed Gratification

When I was younger, and by younger I could even mean as recently as last year, I couldn't wait to open my birthday presents. If I knew someone had something for me, I wanted it right then and right there. Now, now, now! was my mantra.

I guess something in me has matured this year, though the hows and whys of it escape me. But tomorrow is my birthday and yesterday my mother set 3 huge presents and a massive gift bag in one of my back bedrooms. Then, last night, my significant other walked in with a very large gift bag and a smaller one.

As we were sitting down to dinner, he asked: "Aren't you going to open your presents?"

My odd, even by my standards, answer?

"Of course. But not today. It's not my birthday, yet."

6 comments:

Jon said...

It's always amazing that we teach ourselves that self control....eventually. Didn't work for me as a kid, but I'm the same way as you now; it's somehow more special if you wait.
Anyhow, Happy Birthday!

Sizzle said...

have fun opening the presents!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

meghansdiscontent said...

Jon- Umm, well . . . see my next post.

Sizzle - Thanks!! :)

Dan said...

Happy birthday. So what did you get?

TC said...

Yeah, I want to know what the little/big gifts from the SO were :)

meghansdiscontent said...

Dan and TC - I answered your questions, guys, but I did it on the newest post! I just thought more people would see it that way and wouldn't be asking the same questions you did!