Sunday, July 22, 2007

Whining for Whining's Sake

Is it football season, yet?
I’m wasting away in this off-season of nothing to do.

Baseball is only fun if you’re there - and it’s too damn hot to be there. I’ll admit to having attended a Roller Derby, which rocked, but it made me want to be part of the action . . .and thanks to crappy self-employed medical insurance, that foray of fun can be eliminated from the list of possibilities. Though, I admit to being intrigued by another, related, option: Cassie’s cohorts in Roller Derby Crime have asked me to consider coaching the team.
Oooh, telling everyone else what to do while I stand safely out of harm’s way?? Sounds tempting to me.

But there is no substitute for football.
My mainstay. My love. Oh dear Lord, I miss football.
I can see I’m going to have to break down and attend an Arena game.
It’s not REAL football, but it will have to do. For now.

6 comments:

Jon said...

I was raised on baseball, and therefore can watch it just about anytime. Football, I can enjoy, I'm just not as into it.

Jason said...

Arena football doesn't do it for me. I need to real stuff, the good stuff, and I need it bad. My skin's starting to crawl. Tell me again why they can't play football year-round?

Not so little Woman said...

I miss football too. But only college level. I've never been into professional football. There's something lovely and exciting about college ball, though. It's like it means more because you're not just getting paid lots of money but representing a tradition, a school and lots of crazy co-eds who go to absurd distances to cheer you on.

Johnny DC said...

I miss naked football.

You can be my tight end.

Muhahaha!

TC said...

It's almost here :)

meghansdiscontent said...

Jon - Oh, so sad. Football attracts me like few other things can.

Jason - Something about injuries, blah blah blah. Real men don't get injured. *urgh* What happened to the Iron Men of the past?

Not So - I much prefer NCAA to NFL or AFL, but in a pinch or on a Sunday, I'm drawn to the gridiron. I feel the same way you do. These boys are playng for the love of it - - not their Porshe payment.

Johnny - Ya do know you scare me a little, right?

TC - Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :)