Thursday, September 27, 2007

Scent is Linked to Memory

A few weeks ago, I received this e-mail (subject line: Memories) from an old ex:

In church today someone was wearing Ralph Lauren's Safari perfume. I couldn't help but think of you. I miss you sometimes. Just thought you'd like to know.

The truth was, I couldn't care less. I know that sounds harsh and unfeeling, but today is very different from yesterday and the memory of him fails to stir more than a few good times and a relief that I've moved on to better things.

It did make me think, though, and I caught on to an odd personality trait. Every. Single. Time. that I've changed relationships, I've changed perfumes. I'm sure it wasn't a conscious decision, or I wouldn't have been so taken aback by the realization. I just think that, like *Allen*, I began to associate the scent with the relationship and moved on when they did.

It's still an odd realization, though and I'm not eager to have any more relationship-related-self-discoveries anytime soon.

2 comments:

non-Blondie said...

I find that too...it's not a conscious 'okay that relationships over so i'd better find myself a new pretty smell'.

It's just that they dont smell as good as they used to for some reason and I start looking for other scents.

So strange how your brain associates scents with memories so strongly.

Sizzle said...

that's an interesting realization. i think it can be rather liberating.