Tuesday, October 06, 2009

O'er the land of the Free and the home of the Brave

During the opening ceremonies of a recent sporting event the "Regional Finalist" for American Idol had a bit of a slip up during his rendition of The Star Spangled Banner. Though he sang it beautifully, I believe his nerves got the best of him and his big finale ended as such:

O'er the land of the brave and the home of the brave

Needless to say, despite all attempts at composure, several members of the audience (myself included) began laughing quietly to themselves and forgot to applaud his effort.

The gentleman behind me was outraged and tapped me on the shoulder forcefully before angrily asking: "Why is everyone laughing??? I find this extremely disrespectful. That young man had a beautiful voice and sang that song just as it should be sung."

When I explained as nicely as possible that though the boy did have a beautiful voice he had forgotten the exact wording to the end of the song and that was the reason for the laughter, the gentleman shook his head sheepishly and responded: "Well Hell, he obviously knew more of the words than I did!"

No comments: