Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So please go, I'm not strong enough to say no

It is not uncommon for me to come home to a house full of people. My brother, his girlfriend, two neighbors and an ex-roommate all have keys and/or garage door openers to my home. Also, several close friends and ex-boyfriends know where to find the not-so-strategically hidden spare key. I cannot count how many times I've pulled up expecting dark windows and quiet solitude only to be surprised with guests in search of a sympathetic ear, a hot meal or just some company on a lonely night.

I am, more often than not, reconciled to this fact and even secretly happy about it. But there are those nights when someone else's wants or needs cannot outweigh my own and I have to learn to say "NO!" Unfortunately, I am not so great at the "No" part. I tend to either grin and bear it or, worse, passive-aggressively drive by my own house - hoping no one sees my vehicle - and head down to the park to hide until I think, maybe, they've given up and gone home.

My goal this week is to say "No" at least once when an unexpected visitor emerges at an inopportune time. I will be apologetic, but firm. I will stand my ground, but in a sympathetic way. I will put my own wants and needs first. I will say "No".

I will.

4 comments:

Insanity said...

Go you. (: I have a hard time saying no myself to certain people but I'm better then I used to be. xD

meghansdiscontent said...

We should both agree to work on that particular personality flaw. ~grin~

I am Trish Marie said...

I REALLY need to work on this.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/weathercom/298713874092l]www.weather.com[/url]