Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Control yourself, Take only what you need from it


His nervousness. That drew my attention first. He paced rapidly up and down the small sidewalk in front of the restaurant. From time to time his hands would lift to pull at the ends of his hair then absently pat it back down into place.

He reached the driver's side door before I even had time to reach for the keys. "I thought you'd never get here!"

I smiled and shook my head, "I'm 15 minutes early."

He glanced at his watch then grinned the crooked grin that I hadn't known I'd missed until that moment, "Oh. Well. Hmmm . . . Hi?"

I shook my head again, laughing quietly, "Hi to you, too."

He hugged me. It was a bit longer than what should have been comfortable, but I didn't mind. I felt a million things in that embrace: confusion, sadness, loneliness, happiness, fear, love, joy, pain, emptiness and completeness. They were all jumbled up and tumbling around.

I could hear him inhaling deeply. "God, I think I missed -this- most of all."

"This?"

"The way you smell. It's just clean and soft and perfect and . . . . it's you. No one smells the way you smell."

I laughed again, pulling his face around to my own. "You give the strangest compliments."

2 comments:

Gavin said...

"I felt a million things in that embrace: confusion, sadness, loneliness, happiness, fear, love, joy, pain, emptiness and completeness."

That is the worst and best feeling.

meghansdiscontent said...

Gavin: You're exactly correct. My stomach dropped, a lump formed in my throat and - at the same time - my heartbeat tripled and my hands began to shake.